Saturday, 6 April 2013

Meet the REAL Little Grey Coconut!

Hi Peeps,

Every now and again someone asks me what's up with my online name. I agree "Little Grey Coconut" is kind of obscure so I figured I should introduce you to the inspiration for it. Meet the coolest bird in the world...Coconut! Yup he's little he's grey...and his name is Coconut! Make sense now? :)

I'm awesome and I know it!

So let me tell you a bit about him. His full name is Coconut but we always call him Coco. He's an 8 year old grey Cockatiel with more personality packed into his tiny body than you could possibly imagine, a slight addiction to seeds and a surprisingly sarcastic sense of humor. I bet you never knew parrots could have a sense of humor did ya? Well they do. He loves to call me over to his cage, bend his head down to get a head scratch, which birds love, and then he'll whip his head up, bite me and then laugh! Ouch! That's just one of the many ways he loves to mess with me.

 Beware of Coco, destroyer of worlds!

He's kind of a grumpy little man but I love him dearly. There's something special about having the love of a parrot. I find that most dogs tend to love you on sight. They've been domesticated for over 4000 years after all, but parrots are usually only a few generations out of the wild. So whether they like you or not is completely up to them and they're not shy about showing it. When Coco was a baby he'd picked up an infection from the breeder and got very sick. We'd only had hm for a few days at that point so we rushed  him to the birdy vet. The vet told us to prepare ourselves because he might die. Thankfully after lots of TLC from the lovely people at the vet Coco pulled through. Once we took him home again all he wanted to do was sit on me and snuggle. It was during that time that he and I bonded. I became his favorite person and we've been best buddies ever since. His nickname for me is, "Baby," despite me trying to teach him to call me Mom. I tried to teach him the Hawaii 5-O theme song too but he wasn't having any of that either. Dang it. O.o

You know you love me...I'm just that cute!

He can say approximately 10 words and phrases. His repetoire includes:

- Whatcha doin?
- Pretty Boy
- Pieces of Eight (Just like a pirate's parrot!)
- Love you!
- C'mere
- Step up (when he wants to be picked up)
- Good bird
- Blows kisses
- Gives the occasional wolf whistle
- He mimics the phone
- Laughs

Plus he just happens to be the most awesome feathered friend a girl could ever have...ever!!! Oh...and whenever I get him out of the cage in the morning he loves me to kiss his tummy. There's nothing more awesome possum than kissing a warm little birdy tummy in the morning. *Sigh* Life is good. ;)

Anyway thanks for looking.

Ta Ta for now Dolly Peeps,
Becky & Coco



No comments:

Post a Comment